Thermostat

December, 2018
Nina reflects over her year. She’s determined to make a better next year. Are you?



I know. I said the same thing last year. The goal, the end of year resolutions - and yes I said things would be different. And I had a lot of analogies to prove that this year would be the year.
I know I flopped again.
I was not going to get back with Ken. January first he was in my bed necking me. My bad, I forgot to change the locks. He has keys to my place. And boy I couldn't stop him, even as I was sprawled there under him, moaning, staring at my goals and resolutions pasted just opposite the bed. I didn't even stop him when he asked my consent.
I was going to join a church. I don't know what happened. I just couldn't bring myself to risk appearing so religious. My friends. My Mum. Arrghh
Start to volunteer at the teens’ facility next to my office. Boy, work was hectic. And Ken. He's always so demanding. And exhausting. And &You, a volunteer at a teens’ facility?& Laughs &You'd be such a bad role model&
I didn't achieve any of my goals.
I still party on weekdays.
I still get drunk during special functions. And I haven't applied yet to rehab.
Worse, I'm officially overweight.
And maybe I achieved a goal, because Ken dumped me. You won't want to be with me if you see me now. Don't worry, I'll save you the details.
But, just in the last days of this year, brooding and reflecting. And finally attempting to read a book, I discovered that, I had been trying to achieve my goals while being a thermometer. I have been reacting to the events in my life instead of taking action in the direction I want to go and actually going there, being proactive instead of reactive, initiating reactions instead of being subdued by them, being a victor instead of the victim.
So I've taken the bait.
I've submitted my resignation letter. I wouldn't be returning to my job next year.
And I'm leaving Lagos.
I'm leaving my Mum.
I'm leaving my friends.
I'm starting afresh.
You think it's too much? Well, I don't think so. I think I'm perfect.
Some rewards for me already, my boss, instead of signing my resignation, is giving me a transfer to Calabar.
Is it going to be easy? No.
But this time I'll stick to my goals.
I'll be a thermostat.
Wish me luck.


Story by: A. W. Supreme








Would you like to stay connected and get quotes that will inspire and motivate you?
Follow our instagram page @JoyNgofaa'sblog






To stay connected and get notifications on new posts, be a darling and subscribe. Don't forget to share also.. Big thanks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The SeeExpiryDate campaign was launched today 1st June 2017

Scars (Part 2)

BANANA, PINEAPPLE, MILK AND HONEY SMOOTHIE.

INTERVIEW: "I got mature in mind at quite a young age"~Hillary Nwoziri

Tasting tear drops (part 2)

INTERVIEW: I have found the one~JustinMuzik

How to make cucumber paste

Diary Series; Miriam's Diary

Tasting tear drops (part 1)

More