Did I Say?





"Who is it? It's Chike over here" I spoke into the phone trying to place the voice of the person speaking. It sounded female.

"It's me. It's me, Chioma"

 I almost blurted, "innocent". I just managed to bite my tongue. Innocent was the name our guy gang called her. She never had the slightest idea about it.

"Hey, Chioma. What's up? How did you get my number?" I asked even though I knew I gave it to her. She recounted how I had asked for hers, which she didn't know offhand, hence I had given her mine. I held myself in check again as I almost hissed in slight disgust. Since 5 months and she's calling now?

"Oh, so thoughtful of you to call" I said,  trying to hide the sarcasm in my voice.

"Nothing much, sha. Just wanted to ask if you'll be in town for val" I heard her say almost in a whisper, like her mum was in the next room. (Good heavens. Mike did a great job naming her innocent. Such irony). I almost laughed.  Was she crazy or something? This is June and somewoman is telling me about val (val ko, val ni). Not even christmas. She should have said easter, nah.

"Val noni"  I thought to myself in almost the only yoruba I know.

"Hello,  are you there?" She asked.

"Yes, yes. I am. I was just wondering. Is there something I can do about it?" I asked. She delayed.

"Are you sure you got me?" She sounded louder now. Maybe her mum just left the house.

"I sure did. You asked if I'll be around for val" I blurted with all the sacarsm I could muster.

"Val ke?"

Her ibo slapped my ear. "What concerns me with val. I said will you be around for our Deeper Life Holyghost Carnival?"

I felt stupid, to say the least. "Uhh, well no" I said and then aborted the and went on to switch the phone off.

I wanted to call her back and blame everything on network, but on a second thought I decided to change my sim. "Omalene eqensu. Muwa Deeper Life Holyghost Carnival ko, Valentine in."


Story by: Sleek Revealtor

Model: Joy Ngofaa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The SeeExpiryDate campaign was launched today 1st June 2017

BANANA, PINEAPPLE, MILK AND HONEY SMOOTHIE.

Scars (Part 2)

INTERVIEW: "I got mature in mind at quite a young age"~Hillary Nwoziri

Tasting tear drops (part 2)

INTERVIEW: I have found the one~JustinMuzik

Diary Series; Miriam's Diary

How to make cucumber paste

Tasting tear drops (part 1)

How to extract aloe vera gel from the plant